Stress Analysis or more technically known as Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is vital to developing a product that is firstly safe, reliable and not over or under engineered. FEA can be carried out within the 3D CAD programme (SolidWorks) allowing loads to be applied and restraints added to simulate the loads that would been experienced in reality. The results will then show areas of high stress that need to be strengthened as well as areas of low stress that have been over engineered.
FEA is a vital tool to determine the following,
- Show where a product is over or under engineered
- Provides information to select the right material grade & thickness for the job
- Verify compliance to Australian standards
- Minimize fatigue failures
- Determine deflection from loads applied